Front End Web Developer
Barking Dog Studios is hiring a web developer who loves constant learning and responsive design.
You are responsible for the production and testing of complex CSS/HTML templates taking into account accessibility standards, SEO and UI/UX best practices for a variety of responsive and mobile-first web interfaces. You constantly research and develop best practices for web production, accessibility, usability and browser compliance issues and are able to make judgements to best accommodate these factors. Your strong communication skills will come in handy when assisting in writing/editing of documentation for user guides and support materials for use by clients.
Please send your resume and samples of past projects to [email protected]. A Bitbucket/Github/ account with a Portfolio for demonstration is great too.
- a post-secondary degree in a technology / web development related discipline;
- 3+ years experience working within a web development team on a variety of web projects from the requirements stage through to the implementation/launch stages;
- demonstrated expertise in the design and production of responsive sites optimized for multiple browsers and viewing platforms, integrated with a variety of content management systems, including WordPress and customized MVC frameworks;
- a strong understanding of design, colour, layout, typography and interactive design;
- detail oriented beta-testing procedures and best-practices pertaining to web production.
- advanced level experience of CSS pre-processor (e.g. Sass, Less);
- familiar with CSS architecture/methodolgy like SMACSS or BEM
- well-versed in using Git/Bitbucket/version control systems;
- understanding of accessibility best practices, standards (familiarity with WCAG 2.0, ARIA roles) and testing on different devices;
- experience with implementing map features and/or spatial functions (Google Maps, etc.);
- experience working with Web Service protocols and APIs (REST, etc.);
- overall LAMP stack knowledge.
Working on a variety of projects, you will
- participate in brainstorming sessions and project reviews to provide feedback;
- focus on details and consider the “big picture” for project requirements and functionality;
- ensure top level responsive design, accessible and efficient code that is fully tested and meets or exceeds overall quality requirements;
- show meticulous attention to detail;
- be able to manage your time and estimate the amount of time required for completing work.
We are seeking individuals who value
- have superb communication skills, allowing you to work effectively with colleagues and clients;
- demonstrate high motivation, organization and ability to co-operatively work on large scale projects and/or independently on smaller scale projects;
- take ownership for your responsibilities and role within projects and the team.
Research and Ongoing Learning
- have a passion for creative thinking – investigating new ideas and processes;
- stay abreast of emerging ideas/applications and continually improve your skills and knowledge of concepts, practices, and procedures within web design and development.
- Tell us about your other interests.
Barking Dog Studios is a small and fun team located in a historic building in downtown Guelph, Ontario. We work on a variety of online projects and are always up to the latest challenge. As individuals and as a company, we’re honest, hard-working and look for inspiration in everything we do. We’re looking forward to adding a creative, interesting individual to our team.
Guelph, ON, Canada
- twitter: @barkingdogs